Mike Balkwill made two preliminary visits to Bancroft this summer on behalf of the Put Food in the Budget campaign. He learned that the cost of hydro is an expense which, in addition to housing, makes it difficult if not impossible for people to put food in the budget. This story in the Toronto Star was a result of the Put Food in the Budget campaign visit to Bancroft.
There will be community consultations in Maynooth, Coe Hill and Bancroft. The visit will conclude with a public rally to Fix Hydro and Put Food in the Budget.
- We need your financial support
- $240 rents a car for Pauline Bryant and Mike Balkwill to drive to Bancroft. (Local people will provide accommodation and meals for Pauline and Mike).
- North Community Hastings Trust needs $1150 for
- Transportation to support residents from Maynooth, McArthurs Mills, Coe Hill and Lake St. Peter to attend the Saturday rally in Bancroft
- Food and refreshments for community consultations and rally
Please make a donation here to support the North Hastings County community consultation and rally to Fix Hydro and Put Food in the Budget.
This poster provides all the rally details. (Download the poster here or click image).
Will you join us at the rally in Bancroft, 4pm on Saturday Sept 24? (Come at 3:30 to see the parade!) Bring a delegation by car, and some signs from your community.
There will be a space in the agenda where you can speak out in solidarity with the people of North Hastings. Your solidarity will inspire people in North Hastings. (Maybe one day they will return the solidarity!)
Let's show Premier Kathleen Wynne we want action on hydro rates and social assistance rates in order to end poverty in rural communities and put food in the budget!
Put Food in the Budget
Follow us on Twitter (#PFIB), Facebook and Instagram