On Saturday, thousands will gather at the Decent Work Rally in Toronto to deliver a special message to Doug Ford: WE are the people. Will you join us?
During the Ontario election, Doug Ford campaigned on being For the People. Well, WE are the people. We are the contract workers, the cleaners, the caregivers, the servers, the part-timers, the temp agency workers and the minimum wage earners whose labour this province depends on. And WE the people, demand $15 & Fairness!
Let us know you'll be there on Saturday!
Meet at 1:00 PM outside the Ministry of Labour
at 400 University Avenue (South of St Patrick Subway Station)
The rally we are organizing together with the Ontario Federation of Labour is the first big public demonstration to take place since the election. Please make every effort to attend and help us tell the new government: Hands off $15 minimum wage! Hands off paid sick days, equal pay for equal work and fairer labour laws. To deliver this message, we are going to be joined by an incredible line-up of speakers whom you will not want to miss!
- Naomi Klein, author of No Is Not Enough: Resisting the New Shock Politics and co-author of Canada's Leap Manifesto
- Chris Buckley, president, Ontario Federation of Labour
- Sandy Hudson, co-founder, Black Lives Matter Toronto
- Dr. Ritika Goel, member, Decent Work and Health Network & OHIP for All
- Gobinder Singh Randhawa, chair, Ontario Sikh and Gurudwara Council
- Anita Agrawal, CEO, Best Bargains Jewellery (one of Canada's top 100 women-owned businesses) and member, Better Way Alliance
- Sarah Jama, co-founder, Disability Justice Network of Ontario
Now, we heard from some of you during the past few days that you are unable to attend because you are working, have family commitments, or the trek to Toronto is simply not feasible. That is no problem, here is how you can take action to make $15 & Fairness a reality for ALL of us no matter where you are or when you are available:
- Share the invitation with friends in Toronto who may be able to attend. Forward this email to them right now.
- Amplify our message in social media -- Follow the $15 & Fairness Facebook page by clicking here. On Twitter, we are using the hashtag #15andFairness. Re-tweet messages of support or post why you continue to fight for #15andFairness.
- Join an upcoming event near you (check 15andfairness.org/events for future updates). We want to make the most of the summer to collect signatures and talk to our neighbours so that we can deliver $15 & Fairness petitions to the newly elected members of parliament before Queens Park opens for business in September.
- Make a donation, no matter how big or small, if you are in a position to make a financial contribution (click here). The corporate lobby groups are emboldened by the possibility of the Doug Ford government cancelling $15 minimum wage, help us take them on by donating to our Fight On! Fund now.
Thanks for everything that you do online and offline! Our movement for decent work continues to grow thanks to the involvement of supporters like yourself. Together, we know that we will win!
Fight for $15 and Fairness
Click the links below to get your copy!
A broad coalition of anti-poverty groups is organizing to bring this emergency resolution to every Basic Income consultation session.